Especially with the arrival of summer months, it is becoming mandatory to use sunscreen. However, sunscreens contain a lot of chemicals and preservative substances. If it is important to you that the content of the products you apply to your skin, you can make your own sunscreen yourself.
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup shea butter
- 1-2 TBSP zinc oxide or cream containing zinc oxide (each spoon provides about 10 factors protection; you can adjust the amount according to your needs.)
- 5-10 drops of essential oil (lavender, apricot, eucalyptus)
Homemade sunscreen recipe
- To start making your sunscreen, firstly melt the coconut oil and the shea butter in a double boiler method.
- After waiting for the fats to melt, mix homogeneously with a wooden spoon.
- Then add 5-10 drops of your preferred essential oil into this mixture.
- Add the cream containing zinc oxide or zinc oxide to the oil mixture and mix thoroughly with the help of a wooden spoon again until you get a smooth consistency.
- The consistency of the cream you make with this recipe will be the consistency of sun milk. If you want to get a more intense sunscreen, you can add natural wax as extra to the cream content. To do this, all you have to do is add 2 tablespoons of natural beeswax, which you can find in the herbalists to the oil mixture you will melt in a double boiler method. In this way, since the wax is solid at room temperature, your cooling cream will have a denser consistency.
You can get all the materials needed for natural sunscreen production from the herbalists you trust. The point you should pay attention to here is that the natural oils you choose are produced with cold press and, if possible, organic agriculture.
You can store your mixture in a glass jar with a lid and use it safely for 6-8 months.