A make-up product that changes the sense of beauty and aesthetics: highlighter. The highlighter, which is the password for looking bright and glare, can cause your skin to look worse when it is not applied properly. That’s why you need to know how to apply highlighter, and on which areas you should apply it. Because applying highlighter is not as easy as wearing lipstick. Let’s take a look at all the essentials of highlighter application and the tricks needed for a highlighter application.
What is Highlighter?
Before talking about the details of highlighter application, let’s answer the question what is highlighter. Because still a lot of people don’t know what highlighter is and for what we use it. Highlighter which is also called illuminator is a make-up product which gives a shiny look. If you want some ares to stand out on your face, you should apply highlighter on these areas.
How to Apply Highlighter
If you apply highlighter correctly, it can change your look majorly. Ok but how to apply highlighter which will make us to reach a glossy and perfect look? If you are going to apply highlighter, you should know the three important areas onto apply it. These three areas are cheekbones, brow bones and edge of the lips.
If you apply highlighter on your cheeks, you need to apply it above your cheekbones towards your temples. Another area you can apply highlighter is your eyes. Applying highlighter on brow bone (from under eyebrow arch till under the ending point of eyebrow) is very common. By this way your eyebrows look lifted and well-shaped. Besides you can apply highlighter also on the inner corners of your eyes. This application makes your eyes look bigger.
The other highlighter area on face is lips and there are different kind of applications on lips. One of them is applying highlighter on the cupid’s bow and underneath the bottom lip before wearing lipstick. Thus your lipstick looks brighter and your lips look fleshy. Another way of applying highlighter on your lips is after wearing your lipstick. Your lips will stand out after small touches on your cupid’s bow and on the center of your lips.
The last area on which highlighter can be applied is nose. If your nose is one of your favorite reigons on your face, you can apply highlighter on the upper side of your nose through your forehead. The important point is that you cannot highlight the whole nose. This would make your skin look too shiny and oily.
Highlighter brands are very generous for their product range. Because there are quite a lot of highlighter types. There are basically three highlighter types; liquid highlighter, stick highlighter and powder highlighter. But they are differentiated among themselves as of colors, amount of pigment and usage. Stick highlighters are especially ideal for applying onto the upper part of the cheekbones. Because this illuminator is suitable for clear and specific applications. Usings fingers is the key point for the stick highlighter application. You need to rub the product with your fingertips so your skin can absorb it well. In this way, you can reach the desired natural look.
Another type of illuminator is liquid highlighter which you should prefer especially for evening makeup or special occasion makeup. You can apply the liquid highlighters with your fingertips to illuminate your entire face even with a little drop. Liquid highlightters give a perfect gleam to your skin. This product is also a favorite of those who want to have a wet-looking skin. While applying liquid highlighter, we recommend you to use your fingers above your cheekbones and a thin highlighter brush on your nose.
The latest highlighter type is powder highlighter which is always practical and easy to apply. The luminosity of the powder highlighter is less than the liquid products, therefore powder highlightera are ideal for daily use. Powder highlighter givea your face a natural light. Powder highlighters, which we can define as invisible silky powders, absorb the lightness instantly and reflect the light beautifully.
How to Choose Highlighter
• While choosing highlighter makeup products, you need to consider your skin color and eye color. If you have a pale skin, you should avoid pink highlighter. But if you’re white-skinned, the pink highlighter will be the right choice for you. In addition, the other highlighter colors that white skins can choose are shades of champagne, iced silver and pearly tones.
- You can choose highlighter according to your skin color by choosing one or two paler tons of your skin.
- In addition to skin color, skin type is also an important factor for the choice of highlighter. Sometimes it is written on the highlighter, which type of skin it is suitable for. Depending on your skin type (oily, dry, normal or matte), you can choose a product.
- If you are going to use highlighter for the first time, you can discover the product that is suitable for your skin by buying small sized products. If you are not going to use it for the first time, you can choose products according to your makeup frequency.
- Another important point to consider before buying highlighter is the brand of the product. Because a poor quality product may cause an undesired look on your face. You may also face with problems like clumping.
- In addition, the texture of the highlighter product and the other makeup products that you used should be compatible with each other. Because makeup materials that do not fit with each other’s texture and color may cause an incompatible and bad look when you apply them together.
Clues About Highlighter
- Most of the time, highlighter is not applied at the right ampunt and can cause both a funny and non-aesthetic appearance. That’s why you should be a little ungenerous while applying highlighter.
- The most important point of highlighter application is the balance. If you overdose product, you may have an oily look.
- You should always use your highlighter after a foundation or a moisturizer. And the texture of your highlighter should be the same as the one you use under highlighter. In other words, if you are use liquid foundation, you should use liquid highlighter.
- As mentioned above, the areas that you should apply highlighter on your face are the top of the cheekbones, the nasal bone, the brow bone, the cupid’s bow and the chin.
- If you want to get a natural look with the highlighter you use, you should use little amount of product.
- Using fingertips instead of a brush will provide you a more natural highlighter application and better absorption.
- Highlighter makes face lineaments more sharp and marked. You can have a more attractive look when it is well applied.
- If you want your eyebrows to look more lifted, you can apply highlighter just below the brow bone.
- If you want your eyes to look bigger than they are, you should apply highlighter on the inner corners of your eyes.